Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Was Shirl in an Accident?


Large watercolor fashion illustration by June Anderson.

Wednesday, March 2, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Oh, it’s so hot in this room.  I just took a shower and now it feels like I’m in a Turkish bath.  We have the window open, too.  Oh well, I’ll grin and bear it.  Or, better, I’ll sit here and complain!  Ha!

I came back here at 4:00 this afternoon and to my surprise Shirl hadn’t come home yet.  She’s usually here before I am.  I waited till 5:00 and then I began to worry.  What in the world was she doing?  Why didn’t she at least call?  Was she in an accident?  The 6:00 came and my mind was in a complete state of confusion, being both angry at her for keeping me waiting and worrying about what might have happened.  I listened to the news to see if there had been any bad accidents, then went down to the corner drugstore to get a bite to eat.  I thought if she wasn’t back when I was finished I’d have to call her mother or something.  Anyway, I met her on the way to the store.  She had gone window shopping on Fifth Avenue and had lost track of the time.  She was so sorry and I was so mad, but we’re friends again now.

As you probably have realized by now, we have definitely decided that I’m not going home this weekend.  Art, darling, I’m going to miss you terribly.  In fact, why say that?  I miss you terribly already and the weekend hasn’t even come yet.  Shall I expect your call Sunday?

Oh, Art, I do miss you.  You’ll be careful this weekend, won’t you?  And don’t drink too much.  I love you, so goodnight and…

All my love,

June

 (Tomorrow – counting the days.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment