Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Dent in the Fender


Thursday, March 23, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

I got your Tuesday letter today.  I’m very glad Shirl is back to keep you company.  I hope her cold is better by now.  Don’t you go catching it.  You’re supposed to catch your colds from me.

I didn’t go anywhere tonight, but maybe I should have.  My father’s car was stuck in the new section of our garage and we were trying to get it out tonight.  I had my car in the driveway with the lights on so we could see.  Anyway, he got out by going forward and then back – but then he forgot my car was in the driveway and backed into it.  There’s just a small dent in the fender.  Not the first one either.  Oh well.

I painted a little tonight.  Now I’ve been reading a new book, “The Wall” by John Hersey.  It’s very good.

Just a week from tomorrow night until we’re together again, darling.  I hope the time flies by, but I know it won’t.  You know how much I love you.  More than I can ever say.  I’ll call you Sunday at the usual time (at the 09 number).

Keep writing, won’t you?  I love your letters.  Good night – for now, sweetheart,

Lots of love,

Art

(Later today – dill pickles and potato chips.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment