Thursday, March 24, 2011

Permission to Buy Shoes



Thursday, March 23, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

I just realized that I haven’t written you a letter before midnight since I got here.  That’s pretty bad, isn’t it?

Well, I called up Daddy today and told him the bad news – that I bought some expensive cloth for my cape.  He was very sweet about it – didn’t yell my head off.  While he was in such a good humor, I decided to ask him for a little pair of shoes, too.  And he said yes!  That’s all – nothing about how broke we are, etc.  Just yes.  So I’ll probably look for shoes on Saturday.  I wonder if he was feeling alright?

Both Shirl and I have been working on the cape tonight.  We’re tired now.  Shirl was so tired this morning she couldn’t get up.  So that’s another half day of school that she’s missed.

Shirl just said I get the silliest grin on my face when I write to you.  She’s mentioned it before.  I can’t help it – it’s the work of Love.

It’s a wonder you didn’t get sick Tuesday night!  Wine and beer!  Uggh – what a horrible combination!

As soon as I finish this I’ll join Shirl for some dill pickles and potato chips.

Darling, it’s late now, so I’ll just say that I love you.  Have a nice time this weekend – but not too good a time.  Good night, my darling, and

All my love,

June


All shoe sketches by
June Anderson.

(Tomorrow – maybe June does talk too much.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment