Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Bohemian Southampton Art Scene


Pencil sketch of a wine bottle
by Art Price.


Tuesday, March 21, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

I went to my sketch class as usual tonight.  Mr. Mayer brought a quart of wine with him so I guess we looked very bohemian there.  We had a new model.  The class lasted till 10:30 than I dropped in to see Joe Cerullo and had a couple of beers on top of the wine.  Phooey – it’s a wonder I didn’t get sick!

Anyway, it’s midnight and I’m home now.  Tomorrow’s my half day off so I can sleep late.  I’m not used to these late hours weekday nights, you know.  I’ll have to get used to them, darling.  I expect to see you every night you’re home in two weeks.

There’s nothing much more to tell you.  I think I’ll leave this open and maybe write some more tomorrow.  Good night now, darling.  I love you.

Wednesday, 10 A.M.

Good morning, sweetheart.  I just got up and your letter from Monday’s already here.  I’m awfully sorry that Shirl didn’t show up Monday.  I certainly hope she’s there by now.  I’m very worried about you, darling.  Please don’t feel too bad there, will you?  Please don’t go out alone at night either, will you, darling?  If she doesn’t come back soon and you have to come home, you’ll be sure and tell me, won’t you?  I’m terribly selfish, darling.  I almost hope you do have to come home.  Your letter was sealed with a kiss, I think, so I’ll do the same.

Lots of love,

Art

(Later today – cloth for the cape.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment