Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Shirl Returns!

Fashion illustration by June Anderson.

Tuesday, March 21, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Well, Shirl is back, and I feel much, much better.  She strolled in about half past 4 and I nearly fell over her.  I was so glad to see her!  She really does have a bad cold.  Or at least, it was – it’s getting better now, or so she says.

Art, dear, before I forget – if you call up Sunday will you call on the 09 number instead of 08?  Mrs. Kanter is leaving Thursday for Florida and they are having a telephone answering service for 08.  I’ll answer myself for 09.

Darling, guess what?  It’s now six hours later, 5 after 1, a late night.  I put up the letter because Shirl and I went out to get a coke.  We’ve been talking ever since.  Sweetheart, I miss you.  I can’t even seem to talk about myself anymore – just you.  That’s definitely a bad sign.

I still haven’t done any schoolwork.  I can’t seem to settle down to it.  And I probably won’t do any tomorrow either.  After school, Shirl and I are going to look for some cloth for my cape.  If we find it, we’ll probably cut it out that night.

Oh, I was late for school this morning.  Shirl wasn’t here last night so I had to set the alarm myself.  But when I pulled the thing on top to set it, it started ringing.  I don’t understand it.  I kept trying again and again (setting the time and the alarm) and a half hour passed and still when I pulled the thing on top the alarm would go off.  So I finally gave up and woke up late for school this morning.

By the way, Shirl is going out Friday night with Ted.  I don’t know about Sunday.  She’s not going Saturday night – he works then.

Darling – there’s so much I would like to say.  But it all adds up to I love you – so much.  And more.  But it doesn’t come out right on paper.  I’m still waking in a dream when I think of the wonderful weekend we had together.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – revolving models.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment