Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Strain of Jealousy


Fashion illustration by June Anderson.

Sunday, March 26, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Just because I’m writing to you before midnight doesn’t mean I’m going to bed early.  As a matter of fact, I have to sew some more on my cape, wash some things, iron a blouse, set my hair, and take a shower.  Then I’ll go to bed.  Normally, I wouldn’t bother about all that, but I want to look halfway decent when I see Janie tomorrow.

Well, Art, I can’t ask you much about your Saturday night in a letter and I know it would be hard for you to write about it to me.  But just wait till Friday night!!!  Here I was missing you, and you were out having such a good time!  It’s a good thing Shirl didn’t go out Saturday night.  Then I would have been really lonely and when I heard about your good time I might have felt bad or even mad.  I’m sorry, darling – I know I should be glad when you get to go out and have a good time instead of moping around the house.

You must have been in fine condition for church!

I’ll be coming home soon now.  Think you’ll be glad to see me?  Sounds like I’ll be awfully quiet and dull to have around after what you got used to over the weekend.

Don’t worry, darling, I think I still love you in spite of everything.  It’s just that I need attention and love.  And you had better come Friday prepared with plenty of both.  Have you noted, dear, a strain of jealousy through this letter?

Take good care of yourself, darling.  I’m looking forward to my vacation with you so much.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – stood up.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment