Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spasmodic Fits of Loneliness


Sunday, March 5, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Sketch by June Anderson.
I would have written you sooner, but I was waiting for Shirl to come back from her date.  I was alone from 2:30 this afternoon to 10:30 at night – I didn’t even eat a real supper.  When Shirl finally got here I made her go out to eat with me.  The elevator is broken so we had to walk up and down the stairs.  The reason that I didn’t write while Shirl was gone was that I felt very lonely and was afraid I’d sound morose.

Remind me when I’m home to tell you about Shirl’s date.  It was quite a riot.

Darling, it was so nice to hear your voice at noon today.  But Mr. Kantor (my landlord) and his secretary made me mad – they were almost shouting at each other when you first started to talk to me.  Finally Mr. Kantor left but that darned woman stayed on.  So I didn’t’ get a chance to tell you that I love you and miss you, darling.  I do.

I did some homework this afternoon – spasmodically – between fits of loneliness.  If I have a few more nights of work this week, I should be set just fine.  But Evie’s coming Tuesday, so I guess I won’t be doing too much from then on.

Art, will I be seeing you about 8:00 Friday night?  The usual time?

Now, darling, I’m going to end this letter.  Both Shirl and I are very tired.  We’re going right to bed.

Five more days, dear.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – M-m-m...)
 

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment