Thursday, March 31, 2011

They're Hanging Danny Deever


Thursday, March 30, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

My last letter.  Isn’t that wonderful?

Shirl turned the alarm clock off in her sleep this morning so I didn’t get to school today. When we finally woke up, we went shopping instead.

I worked on Historic Research tonight for the first time this term.  The teacher has been asking to see the stylized heads I was supposed to be working on.  Well, I started tonight.  In about an hour and a half, I caught up with the class which has been working on them for about two months now.  Didn’t know I was so fast, did you?

I expect this vacation will do me wonders – I get too easily upset these days.  Here’s my plan for my vacation days:  Wake up at 11 in the morning, eat at 12, perhaps dabble in some homework from 2 to 4, and at 4 start getting ready to go out with you at 8.  Shirl says I’m allowing an awful lot of time for getting ready.  It’s nothing.  I’m going to make up like Cleopatra and vamp my man.  You are going to take me out aren’t you?  We’re supposed to have a date every night, remember?  Did you forget your art lessons when you said that, though?  They will take two nights away
All pencil sketches by
June Anderson.
from me.  And right in a row, too.

They just finished playing “They’re Hanging Danny Deever in the Morning” on the radio.  Nice.  I like poetry and know the poem, but had never heard it put to music.  I thought it worked well with the loud, more or less marching music.

I feel like packing.  I might even start tonight.  Well, darling, I’ll see you Friday night – the usual time, I hope.

All my love,

June

(For tomorrow – the Stylish Blogger Award ceremony.)

 © 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment