Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Instructions on How to Break Up


Pencil sketches by June Anderson.

Wednesday, March 8, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Darling, I received no letter from you today.  I do hope it was the fault of faulty mail delivery and not that you got tired of writing.  Because, Art, I felt very let down and disappointed when there was no letter for me.  When you tire of me, darling, and don’t want to write anymore, tell me and I’ll try not to hang on;  don’t just stop writing.  Promise?  But, dear, I imagine I’ll get your letter tomorrow, or at least an explanation.  I’ll be waiting.

The place was a madhouse today.  Shirl’s sister Evie arrived.  She was all over the place.  We went to meet her bus and returned here by bus.  My feet got frostbitten like they used to – badly.  They hurt on the bus and I mentioned it to Shirl and Evie.  When we got off the nice-looking young man next to me hoped they would be alright.  I certainly hope it warms up for this weekend.

We all went to the movies tonight.  One of the pictures was Tobacco Road.  Outside of that I did nothing.  Just went to school – and it was very uninteresting.

Will I still be seeing you Friday night, darling?  I know, just because you miss a letter, I shouldn’t be so unsure of myself.  I try not to darling.  I can’t help it, though. 

It’s late now and I really must go to bed, so I’ll be waiting for a letter tomorrow.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – Income tax time.)
 

© 2011 Lee Price

1 comment: