Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Most Romantic Blog on the Internet

Filling in with some background information during a letter-writing hiatus from December 20, 1949 to January 5, 1950, as June enjoys Christmas break at home (with frequent dates with Art)…

June and Art.
While there is a break in the love letters from December 20, 1949 to January 5, 1950, there’s no break in the romance.  June and Art spent Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve together, probably visited together on Christmas and New Year’s Day, and doubtless went on dates whenever possible.

To recap:  June and Art’s romance began in May 1949, ripened that summer, and the love letters started when June left for school in New York City in late September.  June temporarily withdrew from school in October when her appendix burst.  She returned to school and the correspondence resumed in early November.  Within the past month, their love has been noticeably deepening as evidenced by exchanges such as these:

“Tomorrow I am going to walk into this room and there – lo and behold!  A great big fat letter from a real nice guy named Art.  And you know what?  It’s so anxious to be read it just jumps right in my arms.  I can daydream, can’t I?  Only tomorrow I hope it will be fact instead of fiction.  Remember, I miss you.  Please make my dream come true.”

“How I enjoyed yesterday!  Walking through Central Park, down Fifth Avenue, the ice show, Times Square – even walking in the rain.  I only hope you had half as good a time.”

“Keep in out of this cold weather and don’t walk in the rain without me.”

“I’m going to miss you tomorrow.  Even the Museum of Natural History isn’t as nice as you.”

“Six long days and five even longer evenings till you’re in my arms again.  I didn’t know I could miss anyone this much.  I’m almost glad I hadn’t met you while I was in the Navy.  I probably would have gone over the hill.”

“Only seven days left.  I miss you.  I don’t think I’ll send kisses.  I’m saving them for delivery in person.”

“I’m very eager to receive that special delivery in person.  Missing you.”

(Tomorrow – the candlelight Christmas Eve service.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment