Thursday, December 16, 2010

Great Grandfather's Portrait

Thursday, December 15, 1949

20 Cooper St.
Southampton, NY

Dear June: 

Just think, a week from tonight at this time you’ll be in my arms.  I hope I can wait till then.  I guess I’ll just have to.

Art's portrait of his great grandfather
George Werner in his Civil War uniform.
I had a fairly busy day today.  I went out early this evening with my father and helped him set up the big tree at church.  Then I came home and got quite a bit accomplished on my course.  My next free night I really have to do some work on my great grandfather.  I wonder if that last sentence sounded strange to you?  I mean work on his portrait.

I’m going to take it easy this Saturday.  If I go out, I’ll stick to beer and get home early.  If anyone mentions New York, I know three guys that are going to start throwing things.  Only seven days left.  I miss you.  I don’t think I’ll send kisses.  I’m saving them for delivery in person.

Loads of love,

Art

Special thanks to Rick Scholl for sending me this image of Art's portrait of his  great grandfather!

(Tomorrow – off to Patchogue.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment