Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Faux Pas






Tuesday, December 13, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

I called my mother Sunday after you left.  She forgave me for forgetting her birthday.

We did homework last night, so I didn’t get much sleep.  Today in school I was miserable and depressed.  Tonight I’m faced with loads of homework again.  My spirits are way down again.

So, I figured, why not do something foolish?  Like going to a double feature after supper and then stay up doing homework till 1 or 2.  I had a hard time persuading Shirl, but finally had my way.  I feel much better now, in fact, I feel good.  Mischievous in a way.  I enjoy doing things I know I shouldn’t.

Fashion illustration
by June Anderson.
I just designed a spring suit.  It looks a little homely. Now it’s time to return to historic research.

Know what I heard?  The debutante slouch of the 20’s is coming back.  They say I won’t be fashionable after Christmas unless I walk around with my shoulders hunched over and stomach sticking out.  Well, here’s one girl leaving the fashionable set!

I always seem to feel tired, except when I’m with you.  Of course, the way you hold me makes me feel nice and all over lazy.  There’s no more comfortable feeling than that.

It’s now 1 a.m.  Shall I do Historical Research or try to design a better suit?  I have to get back to work.  Night – Pleasant dreams.  I’ll send you loads of kisses.  If you were here tonight, I’d wrestle with you – I feel like it.  Hmmmm – miss you.

Love,

June

(Tomorrow – the talk about Bruno and his car.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment