Saturday, December 11, 2010

June among the Van Gogh

Undated letter, later hand-delivered
Written Saturday, December 10, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

This will be a short letter as I am too gloomy to write.  I just got your nice letter and even that failed to cheer me up.  I’m about to lose reason, grab the paper, and tear it to shreds.  I can’t stand this room any longer.  As soon as I finish this I’m getting out – anywhere!  God knows what I’ll do!  I sure am in a terrible mood, aren’t I?  I didn’t realize it was that bad.

Dear Art,

It is now 9:30 p.m.  I feel much better as you might guess.  Shirl says I look happy sitting here – which isn’t too unusual when I’m writing to you.

We went shopping this afternoon.  Shirl bought a new skirt, blouse and hat.

Then we walked across Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum to see Van Gogh’s work.  The fresh air revived me.  At the Met, I saw Roman statues, an Indian temple, Indian jewelry, Chinese vases, knight’s armor, and
oh – everything was wonderful!  I could have wandered there for ages – not studying things closely but wandering around and stopping at things that caught my eye.

Oh yes.  Van Gogh.  I don’t know.  I looked at 95 of his pictures and I still don’t know whether I like his work or not.  At the risk of sounding old fashioned and very non-sophisticated, I don’t think I did.  However, I enjoyed looking.

When the museum closed down at 5, we went to the movies – saw “All the King’s Men” – a
Paintings by
Vincent Van Gogh.
very good movie.  Now I am home and happy.

Tomorrow, I’m planning to go out again.  This time to the American Museum of Natural History.

I must be a very musty character, liking museums like this.

I’m going to miss you tomorrow.  Even the Museum of Natural History isn’t as nice as you.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow night – a surprise visit.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment