Thursday, December 9, 2010

June's Picasso Phase

Thursday, December 8, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

Every time I write you it seems to be to postpone my vacation a little longer.  This time it’s for one more day.  I called up Mother after I talked to you last night.  She said that she thought it would be better if she came in Wed., then we both would go home Thursday.  I agreed with her.  I told you how she loves the city – so I feel as if it’s her best present to come into the city for a couple of days.  It’s the most I can do for her.

I got your letter this morning!  Shirl and I were waiting for a subway at 81st Street when who popped up behind us but Mr. Kantor!  With a great big smile on his face, he passed out the mail.  Just like Santa Claus.  You know, you’re absolutely right.  He looks just like a typical musician.

Morning classes were boring today.  I was reading Look magazine in class.  Did you know that the Methodist Church is the largest Protestant denomination in this land?  That’s what it said.

Fashion sketch by
June Anderson.
This afternoon we had sketching from a model.  She would pose for ten minutes and we would render her in watercolor outlined or shadowed.  The last pose I got tired of working.  She was giving a ballet pose wearing the tights and so on.  Usually I draw in very vaguely in pencil.  Well I started, but two lines and I gave it up.  For the heck of it, I grabbed my largest brush, dunked it in grey paint and started at the head – I just swung all around the outline of the figure.  After finishing that (loads of fun!), I was just about to put it away for the waste basket.  There was a voice right behind me – my teacher!  And what was she shouting?  “Well, well, a Picasso right in our room!”  I swear – those are the very words!  I’m still laughing at it.  You realize, these are supposed to be fashion drawings and not modern art.  I don’t know how to take it, but it tickles me.

Jewelry drawing by
June Anderson.
I did my jewelry thumbnail layout in school today.  I’ll need to get it approved, then blow it up to a larger size and finish it in pen and ink.

Tomorrow Shirl and I plan to go to the movies – probably All the King’s Men, unless we find a good revival.  On Saturday Shirl wants to go shopping so I’ll probably tag along.  I’ve decided I want to see the Vincent Van Gogh exhibit at the Met over the weekend – it’s only there till Jan. 15th.  If I put it off too long, I’ll never see it.

I don’t see how I can fill a letter so full of nothing.  Would you call it talent?  For heaven’s sake!  “Blondie” just came on the radio!

If you don’t write me a letter tonight, we’re not on speaking terms.  I want a letter Saturday!  I’m going to miss you – in fact, I do already.

All my love,

June

(Tonight – Art gets a birthday present.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment