Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Art's Quiet Birthday


A baby, pencil sketch by Art Price.

Wednesday, December 7, 1949

20 Cooper St.
Southampton, NY

Dear June:

Art with his mother, Ada Belle Price.
Just opened and read your Monday letter, one of the nicest (and longest) I’ve ever received.  Just what I wanted for my birthday.  It sounds like I must have worn you out Sunday.  We didn’t get home late but I guess we did cover quite a distance.  I sure had a swell time.  I'm glad you did too.

Tonight I went to the first show at the movies – then met Joe and went with him to the school to see the town basketball team beat Center Moriches 53 to 38.  Moriches was section champs last year.  Then I watched Ted Mack’s Original Amateur Hour* on television, had a few beers, and was home by one.

Maybe I’d better come in when you do laundry again.  The next time you might burn down the whole building, not just the washing machine.

This is my day off.  It’s nice having nothing to do on your birthday (work, I mean).  Now I’ve got to go out to the street to mail this letter, get a haircut, and maybe get started on Christmas shopping.

Sorry you can’t be here to help me celebrate!  You know I miss you and am thinking of you.

Lots of love,

Art

* The link is to a clip from Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, November 25, 1949 broadcast, with the last public appearance by Bill Bojangles Robinson.

(Tomorrow – June, the Picasso of Traphagen.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment