Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Gin Mills of Southampton

Sunday, December 18, 1949

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June: 

Wonderful to talk to you today but as usual I couldn’t think of all the things I wanted to say.

Last night, I went to the movies with Frank Hoffman.  Then he and I and Joe Cerullo watched wrestling at the Anchorage for awhile then went to the Polish Hall and saw the rest of the boys there.  Then to Peter’s, took Frank home, and out to Julie’s with Joe.  We stopped at Pete’s again on the way back and met Bruno, Farmer, and Singer there.  Then back to the Windmill to eat, and finished the night at the Hampton Bays Diner.  Finally got home at 4 in the morning.  I stuck to beer all night.  Today I discovered a small dent in my rear fender opposite the driver side.  That’s what I get for parking outside of gin mills!  It can be fixed easily but I hate to see it.

I thought of you all evening.  If just one other guy had decided to go to the city, I would have been with him.

I went to church twice today, regular service in the morning and Christmas music at 4:30 in the afternoon.  Otherwise I’ve done nothing all day.  Only four days and three nights till I see you.  Tomorrow will be my last letter before Christmas, as you know.

Remember me to everybody.  I hope you and your mother have a good time.  I’ll be over Thursday night as early as I can, probably around 7:30.  I hope you’ll be there by then.  If not, I’ll wait.  I miss you, but I’ll be seeing you soon.  I’m a lucky guy.

Lots of love,

Art

(Tonight – a surprise invitation to the candlelight service.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment