Saturday, August 13, 2011

You'll Get a Letter Every Day

Fashion quick sketch by June Anderson.

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem in June.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City and underwent an operation on June 15 to address the pain in his left knee.

Tuesday, June 19, 1951

126 Lincoln Street
Riverhead, NY

Dear Art,

Another day gone by, darling.  I hope it won’t be too many before you come home again.  I’m sorry to hear your roommate is going home.  I know it’s wonderful for him, but I hope you don’t get some old groan in with you.

When I talked to Shirl last night, she said she would be sending me an invitation to her engagement party on July 15th.  She thought it would be nice if you could bring me.  I told her we would have to wait to see how you are.

I’m so anxious to find out about the treatments, and – of course –the final decision on our wedding day.  I hope the treatments will be easy on you and very effective at the same time.

It’s so nice to have you able to call me again, darling.  I hope it’s not too hard on you – getting in and out of the phone booth with your crutches and bad knee.  I’ll be waiting for your call tomorrow and will be in Sunday.  Until then, you’ll get a letter every day.  Please get well and hurry home to me.

All my love,

June

(For Monday – Wishing we were in the car.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment