Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You Shouldn't Had Oughta Done It


Art's lettering assignment homework for the Partida Art School.

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City on June 12 for an operation to address the pain in his left knee.

Thursday, June 14, 1951

Presbyterian Hospital
168 Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY

Dear June:

My mother and sister got here about 7 and stayed till 8.  It was nice to see them.  And it’s sure going to be nice to see you Sunday, darling.  Thanks for the flowers.  They really are beautiful but you shouldn’t had oughta done it.

They are saying the operation will be early in the afternoon.  They’ll take me upstairs about 12:30.  Afterwards they don’t bring you back to your room until you’re conscious.  Don’t you be worried about me and the nurses.  You’re my one and only wonderful darling girl, you doll.  I hope I’m feeling good by Sunday.  The way everyone talks, I should be.

I guess I’ll roll over and go to sleep in a few minutes.  I feel like I’m going to be able to sleep good tonight.  I hope so.  I love you very much, darling.

All my love,

Art

(Tomorrow – Six months since the engagement.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment