Thursday, August 18, 2011

A 1951 Hospital Bill

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem in June.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City and underwent an operation on June 15 to address the pain in his left knee.

Wednesday, June 20, 1951

Presbyterian Hospital
168th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY

Dear June:

I’m alone in the room now.  My roommate went home this morning.  It’s okay alone here but I hope they get me a new roommate soon.

I didn’t see the doctor today so I guess there’s no report from the lab yet.  Please don’t worry about it.

They sent my bill up today.  The woman at the desk said they’re always doing that.  I sent it back with a note about the insurance company.  I’m glad I’ve got insurance!  The first week was $192 – of course that covers the operation, tests, x-rays,
and everything.

I think I’ll get my crutches and go mail this tonight.  My leg feels as if I could walk on it but they say not to.  So I hobble around.  A wheelchair is handy, too.  It means I always have a seat if I go to watch television.

The nurse just came in with my milk.  Everybody gets a glass of milk in the evening.

I’ll say good night now, darling.  I love you so very much.  See you Sunday.

All my love,

Art

(Tomorrow – Get well cards.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment