Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wheelchairs and Crutches

Pencil sketch by Art Price.

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem in June.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City and underwent an operation on June 15 to address the pain in his left knee.

Monday, June 18, 1951

Presbyterian Hospital
168th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY

Dear June:

I was a little surprised myself that I was able to call you today.  I’m glad I could though.  I roamed the halls in a wheelchair most of the morning.  They’re really quite easy to handle.  Then they measured me for crutches and taught me how to use them.

The nurse on duty last night told me I don’t really have to exercise 100 times an hour.  She said this doctor always expects more than the others, so I’ll keep on doing like I have been.  I hear they get people out of here as fast as they can.  I really think I’ll be coming home sometime next week.

We’re listening to Godfrey’s Talent Scouts right now.  I suppose you’re watching them, too.  I wish I could be there holding your hand right now.  Oh well, it won’t be long.  I hope the doctor has something good to tell me tomorrow.  I’ll let you know what he says.

The nurse will be coming in in a minute with our sleeping pills so I guess I’d better say good night for now.  I miss you very much, darling.  I love you, I do.

All my love

Art

(For Saturday – Hope it's not an old groan!)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment