Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nothing Could Keep Me Away

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem in June.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City on June 12 for an operation to address the pain in his left knee.

Wednesday, June 13, 1951

126 Lincoln Street
Riverhead, NY

Dear Art,

It was so nice to talk to you today.  It makes it easier being able to talk to you during the day – you don’t seem so far away then.

I hope you won’t be too uncomfortable the first few days after your operation.  It’s good your mother will be with you Friday and Saturday – I won’t worry so much about your being lonesome and feeling bad then.  I’ll definitely be in to see you on Sunday.  Nothing could keep me away.

You shouldn’t have such a flattering picture of me on your nightstand for everyone to see!  They will expect someone good looking – and it will only be me instead.

And no mentioning any particular nurses when you talk to me!  I’ll just hunt them down Sunday.  They won’t get near you anymore!

You’ll probably get this letter either just before or just after the operation on Friday.  All that matters is for you to get well – whether it takes a couple of weeks or a few months.  I promise I won’t let myself feel miserable when I miss you.  Don’t worry about how
I’ll feel.  Just get yourself well.

I’m still thinking about going to the movies tomorrow to pass the night away quickly.  I hope I haven’t forgotten how to buy a ticket!  Good night, my darling, and –

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – Thanks for the flowers.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment