Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Last Letter

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem in June.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City and underwent an operation on June 15 to address the pain in his left knee.

Friday, June 22, 1951

Presbyterian Hospital
168th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY

Dear June:

Art at Montauk Point,
circa 1951.
I’ll be seeing you long before you get this but I’ll write anyway.  My mother just left a few minutes ago.  The Minister got lost coming up here but he finally arrived, too.

I love you so much, darling.  I’m certainly looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.  I hope my wheelchair is strong enough for both of us.  I can’t wait till my arms are around you again.

You’ll probably get this the day I get home so I guess I’ll make it short.  I’ll just say I love you, you beautiful doll, you.  Good night for now, my darling.

All my love,

Art

(Tuesday – Final countdown.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment