Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Time Is Tight

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem in June.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City and underwent an operation on June 15 to address the pain in his left knee.

Wednesday, June 20, 1951

126 Lincoln Street
Riverhead, NY

Dear Art,

I’m sorry you haven’t heard any news about your leg yet.  I’m very anxious to find out about it – and for more reasons than one.  Naturally I want to know how it will affect you and if the treatments will be easy.  But darling – we have to get started on our wedding plans!

Fashion illustration (with hat) by
June Anderson.
If the wedding’s to be postponed, it will be alright.  But if the wedding’s on, this is already the last week of June and I just have to get the invitations made out!  I’m getting a little nervous.  Whatever you find out, darling, we’ll have to make decisions then.  And either you call up to tell the minister of a change in plans (we should do it as soon as possible in case anybody else wants to get married then) or I’ll get started on the invitations.  I hope I’m not pushing you again, darling.

At any rate, Art, I fully expect you to be coming home next week.  I hope you’ll be able to.  I love you so much, my darling, and really miss you.  It’s nice getting your letters at noon time and your phone call, but they don’t substitute for you being here beside me.

I got my hat in the mail today.  It’s brown felt and shaped faintly like a bonnet.  I know you don’t understand my interest in fashion but I am so pleased with it!

Are you still watching the television, darling?  I read more than I look at it, but we still have it on every night.  No other news around here – you sweetheart – I still love you.

All my love,

June

(Thursday – The hospital bill.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment