Sunday, April 24, 2011

Three-Part Letter


Sunday, April 23, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Fashion illustration by June Anderson.
Well here’s another letter from your problem child again.  I’m here all alone on a Friday night, but I feel so much better than I did when I wrote that last letter.  I’ve read, eaten, and even done a little homework.

Darling, I’ve been listening to the radio all night.  Why must all the songs be love songs, or ones that we listen to together?  I’d love to have you here beside me tonight but you’re in my thoughts anyway.

Shirl’s out with Ted.  Heaven knows when she’ll get in.

I hope I can come home next weekend.  Complications seem to be arising.  Room hunting, you know.

Dear Art,

It’s now about 10:30 a.m. on Sunday morning.  You ought to be calling in about two hours, I suppose.

I had a lovely time over June’s and Betty’s apartment last night.  We played Canasta which I don’t like, and Bridge which I love.  They served some Southern fried
chicken which was delicious. 
June O’Neal’s from West Virginia, you know.  She cooked it.

Shirl and I room hunted yesterday and we didn’t see anything nice at all.  So we changed our minds again.  That means I’ll be home next weekend.  Will I be seeing you?

We’re going to the Bronx Zoo this afternoon which should be very nice.  Then Shirl’s going out this evening, which means another lonely night caged up in this room.

Well, that’s all for now.

- - - - -

Darling, this is after the telephone call from you.  I feel much better, sweetheart, I really do.  It’s just that sometimes I feel you don’t love me so much anymore and it frightens me.  I’m really sorry I’m so much worry to you.  But you fixed me up by talking to me.  We’re not going to the zoo.  It’s too bad out.  Maybe Shirl and I will go to the movies.  I love you, my darling – much too much.

Love,

June

(Tomorrow – June, the wonderful housewife.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment