Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blame the Post Office


Thursday, April 13, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

I waited until now to write in hopes I could tell you how the picture turned out and answer your morning letter.  Well, I didn’t get a letter this morning and the picture won’t be finished till this afternoon.

I’ll blame not getting a letter on the post office department for now.  I’d better get one this afternoon though!  If you don’t write to me ---- !!!!

Anyway I still love you very much, darling.  This has been my morning off.  I slept late then went out and got a haircut.  Yesterday, I put the car in the garage to get tuned up, greased etc. – all ready for this weekend.  I finished John Hersey’s The Wall last night then went to bed fairly early.

Pencil sketch by Art Price.
As far as I know Joe hasn’t made that phone call yet.  If I see him tonight maybe I’ll drag him into the phone booth.

I think I’ll go across the street now and see how the baby is.  Remember me to Shirl.  See you Friday night, sweetheart.  Till then I love you very much.

Lots of love,

Art

(For Monday – safely home from Brooklyn.)
 

© 2011 Lee Price

2 comments:

  1. Any idea who "the baby" is? Peter, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby that Art mentions is Peter Lawrence, son of Ray and Gertrude Lawrence. Gertrude (known as "Nin") was a younger sister of Art's mother. The family lived across the street. There's no indication that the baby in the sketch is Peter.

    ReplyDelete