Friday, April 22, 2011

June's Wild Mood Swings

Friday, April 21, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Pencil sketch by
June Anderson.
I think you had better tear this letter up without reading anymore of it.  I’m in a nasty mood tonight.  I don’t understand what’s the matter.  I’ve read your latest letter over and over again and even though it’s really a nice letter, I still feel miserable.  I think I’m homesick.

Before you go any further, I want to tell you right now that no matter what I say, I don’t want you to come in this weekend.  I realize that it’s too much of a trip to make just for a few hours for me.  And it wears you out.  Besides I don’t like you to travel by yourself.  So will you please ignore the rest now?  I just need to get something off my mind.

My friends are beginning to tease me.  “Loves light fading, etc.”  I know they’re just joking around and don’t mean it, but sometimes I begin to think – he used to come in to see me a lot, but now he hasn’t come in to see me since before Christmas.  It’s true – if I want to see you I have to come home.

Everybody I know here at school seems to be engaged or married.  I never saw anything like it.  And Shirl and Ted – well, I’ll tell you about her when I see you next week.  Shirl’s going out tomorrow night with Ted and will probably do the same all day Sunday.  I hope you will still want to see me next week after this awful letter because I do love you very much.  If I didn’t, I wouldn’t make myself such a pest to you.

Shirl and I don’t know if we’re going to move or not.  We keep changing our minds.  What an unstable life I lead.

Somehow writing you really has cheered me right up.  Maybe I’ll go out with Shirl.

- - - - -

I went out and had a sundae.  We talked.  Then I showered and washed my hair.  I can’t wait to see you again.  Mmmm.  I’m going to be a regular little wolfress the next time I see you.  Watch out!

There’s nothing like writing a little note to your boyfriend, is there?  I’ll try to behave myself, and be a good girl.  That is, as good as a bad girl can be.

All my love,

June

(For Sunday – a busy weekend.)
 

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment