Monday, April 25, 2011

June, the Wonderful Housewife


Fashion illustration by June Anderson.

Monday, April 24, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

I certainly hope you’re burning up my letters, or something similar.  They must sound awfully silly lately.

Shirl and I have cleaned up this place.  I vacuumed, dusted, and swept the chairs off.  I bet you didn’t know I would make such a wonderful housewife, did you?  Well, you’d probably be right!  I can’t cook either.  In fact, I’m practically helpless.  And I’m no raving beauty.  Oh, oh.  Why in the world DO you love me?  I’d better start acquiring some assets.

I loved talking to you today.  I felt much better afterward.  Shirl and I went to a movie – Key to the City with Clark Gable and Loretta Young.  We enjoyed it.  I hadn’t seen a movie with her in ages.

As you can tell, darling, I’m feeling quite good tonight.  It’s all because you were so understanding on the phone.  Hmmm!  If you were here I’d just wrap my arms around you and hug you so tight!  You’d have to struggle and fight to make me let go.  I love you so much.

I really can’t say much more.  All I can say is you are so sweet and wonderful you certainly deserve a nicer girl than a selfish creature like me.  But, darling, that doesn’t stop me from loving you one bit.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – Let me call you sweetheart.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment