Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Let Me Call You Sweetheart

Tuesday, April 25, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Fashion illustration by
June Anderson.
I have so much homework (the old complaint).  I try to do some work in school but can’t seem to accomplish a thing.  Shirl’s making a plaid dress in school and she brought it home to do some work on it here tonight.  It’s all gored and pleated and she has to match all the plaids perfectly.  She worked so hard, finished, held it up to look at it (one seam) and you should have seen her face!  It was a glaring mistake.  We both got hysterical.  I’ve been teasing her ever since.  Poor kid.  I hope she’ll keep me for a roommate!

You couldn’t have answered that moody letter I sent you in any better way.  Not possibly.  I’m back normal enough, so I could even laugh at what you thought of it.  You were, of course, perfectly right.  The only thing is, will it be safe for me to come home Friday?

I hate to see the USA play sissy or anything, but they’d just better not have
a war with Russia until you’re 50 or so.  I just dare them.

Oh, darling!  They’re playing “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” on the radio.  May I?  But I seem to prefer darling anyway, so I guess I’ll just continue calling you that.  Darling and Art.  Both are nice.  Okay, darling?

All my love,

June

(For Thursday – more apologies for moodiness.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment