Monday, January 31, 2011

Makeup Needed


Advertisement design by June Anderson.

Monday, January 30, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

I forgot to set the alarm, my parents woke me up, and I just made the train back to the city.  I finally reached Traphagen at about 10:00 only to find there was nothing much to do.  Shirl didn’t arrive until noon.  I didn’t want to open my portfolio because it was packed with clothes, so I joined friends and talked, went to Jack’s for a snack, then wandered around like a stray lamb.

Detail from ad design.


This afternoon was a little better.  June, Joan and I (J, J, and J) decided to make up a life drawing assignment.  I thought I didn’t have enough marks for the class, but Mr. Lawrence, one of the Life teachers, interrupted my work to say that I do.  He looked me over (I had no makeup on) and said there was no reason I should have to make this work up and that I should get some rest instead.  Afterwards I decided I must have looked pretty bad, so I went out and put some lipstick on.

We stayed for quick sketch until 5:00, ate dinner, then went to a double feature.  No homework accomplished.

Shirl went on a date this past weekend but didn’t enjoy it much.  It was a triple date, which probably had something to do with it.  I told her she was growing up.

Well, Art darling, it’s started – two long weeks without you.  I counted though and it’s really only 11 long days.

Did you hear any more about Bruno’s accident?  Did he turn up at work today?  How is he?  I’m concerned about him.

You really have to be careful driving, too.  I’m not kidding you about it anymore.  Now be good and don’t pick up any stray girls,

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – More details on Bruno's accident.)

© 2011 Lee Price


No comments:

Post a Comment