Monday, January 24, 2011

Lonesome in the Big City


Monday, January 23, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

Detail of watercolor
below.
I’m here in the room, all by myself and so lonesome.  Too bad you couldn’t be here.  Shirl won’t be back until tomorrow.  Her sister Evie called me this morning to say Shirl had an attack of laziness – she worked hard all weekend and then slept all morning.  She was still in bed when Evie called.  Her mother thinks Shirl looks worn-out, undernourished, and exhausted.  She should see me!

I don’t think I could live in the city without a roommate.  It’s terrible, being here by yourself.  When Shirl’s here we can talk and liven things up a bit, so I can pass the time faster.  In high school I used to enjoy being by myself but since college I no longer like being alone.  Well, tomorrow Shirl will be here.  Then I’ll see if I can arrange to come home this weekend.

Did you work hard today?  I hope not too hard.  I didn’t work at all.  Of course, that means I’ll have to make up for it over the next couple of days.  Maybe it’s just as well Shirl didn’t come.  I’ll catch up on some sleep tonight and perhaps – I say this with incredible optimism – I’ll get a new spurt of energy for tomorrow.

In school today I just loafed and talked to everyone in range – more talking than loafing.  When anyone asked if I had a nice weekend I just smiled into space and said “Wonderful.”  But they couldn’t know how wonderful.

Evening Gown watercolor
by June Anderson.
All my love,

June

P.S.  Art, my darling – guess what time it is.  It’s after 1 a.m.!  I decided to do some homework after all.  I drew a figure with an evening gown on, transferred it, colored it, etc. – anyway, it’s all finished.  That means I’ve completed everything for watercolor class.  And do you know why I did it?  Because I’ve decided to come home this weekend.  Wouldn’t that be nice?

Love and kisses,

June






(Tomorrow – June's birthday present.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment