Monday, January 17, 2011

Negotiating Weekends and Vacations

Monday, January 16, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

I don’t feel like doing a darn thing.  Today at school I found out that there are three more weeks of school until our next vacation instead of two like I thought.  I’m very unhappy.  I also found out I have more work to do.  Since there are three more weeks of school I really should wait until the weekend after this to go home.  But I guess I won’t.

Portrait (unknown subject)
by June Anderson.
I had such a good time over the weekend that I hated to leave.  I enjoyed myself so much – I hope you did the same.  Has Bruno seen Mary again?

Art, darling, I’m so sleepy I can’t even write in my normal low-intelligent way.  All I can think of is that I’m tired and I have so much homework and I don’t want to do any of it and I shouldn’t go home this weekend but I want to.  Maybe after a good night’s sleep I’ll be able to write you a nicer letter tomorrow.

Until then,

Love (all of it),

June

P.S.  It is 11:30 and I feel much better now.  I worked on homework and couldn’t actually accomplish a thing.  It was Shirl who finally cheered me up.  She announced out of the blue sky that she’s going home this weekend.  How my spirits soared!  I don’t know why she decided to and I’m not going to ask – she might think it over and change her mind.  I’ll leave well enough alone.  I hate to have the feeling of chasing her home every weekend.  You know how I feel about you, so take good care of yourself.

Love,

June

(Tomorrow – Art's charcoal sketch of home life.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment