Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Birthday Present, A Day Early


Tuesday, January 24, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

Does the writing look any different to you?  It’s my new pen!  Yes, I know, I should have waited until my birthday tomorrow but, gee, it got here today and how could I wait?  Oh, it writes so nice and easy – I don’t need to press at all – it just glides along.  Do you realize this is the first time I’ve even written you with my own pen?  I’ve always used Shirl’s and you have to dip it into the ink constantly.  Thank you so much!

Gee, I kind of wish it would go dry again.  It’s fun filling it – you press it three times – I wonder what kind of material that thing is made out of that you press?  It’s transparent.

Shirl and I decided to postpone going out on my birthday tomorrow – too much homework for both of us.  I’m trying to finish everything possible so I won’t have too much to do while home this weekend.

I left my pocketbook on a bench in the subway station today and didn’t discover it until I was on the train.  We got off at 59th Street ran upstairs, then around and down, and caught the next subway back to 50th Street.  I ran to the bench and it wasn’t there, but the man sitting there said he just gave it to a station master who had gone upstairs.  He advised me to go to the change booth to ask about it.  So I raced up four flights of stairs to the change booth where the man told me to go back downstairs.  So down four flights I ran again.  And there at last was the man with my pocketbook.  What luck!  When he asked me to identify it I told him I had letters in there from you to me.  It was about the most tiring half hour I’ve ever spent!

Two more nights of homework and then you.  What a welcome relief.  I love you till then.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – Birthday greetings!)

© 2011 Lee Price

1 comment:

  1. These letters are so sweet---takes me back years, when things were nice and so innocent compared to today's vulgar "secular culture".

    The bit about the pen was funny, in retrospect--how much our society has changed. I loved the purse story, too.

    ReplyDelete