Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Date Mid-Week


Bird sketch by Art Price.


Thursday, January 12, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dearest June:

As you can see I got home all right.  I left the city about 9 this morning and got home at noon.  I stopped in Riverhead for a minute on the way through.  Your mother was hoping I’d call to let her know how you were.  I told her you didn’t think you’d be home this week.

I’ve had a wonderful time these last two trips into the city.  Just being with you is wonderful.  In fact, I think you’re pretty wonderful yourself.  I miss you already.  I’ll count the days till your home again.

I went to work at one and worked pretty hard all afternoon.  After missing so much time, I felt that I really should.  Tonight, I went to the movies to see Tell It to the Judge with Roz Russell and Robert Cummings.  It was a comedy, quite good but it would have been much better with you.  I came right home afterward.

Just like I told you, after the holidays the boys slow down.  Bruno’s been home by 10 every night this week (so far).  He’s been in pretty bad shape the last few weeks, and I’m a little concerned because I hear Mary’s coming home this weekend.

Don’t worry about me this weekend.  I’ll take it easy.  In fact, maybe I won’t go out at all.  All the time I’m out I think of you and wish you were here.  I love you very much.

Good night for now, sweetheart,

Lots of love,

Art

(On Saturday, a memorable fight remembered.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment