Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pearls in the Ash Tray

Tuesday, May 16, 1950

112 West 86th Street
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Fashion illustration by
June Anderson.
Before I say anything else, darling, please take care of your car.  And don’t let anyone use the ash trays in the back seat.  I left my pearls there.  Remember?

Art, the school has decided there will be no class on Wednesday, the last day in May.  That means I’ll stay here the weekend before that and plan on going home on Monday night.  I hope I get all my homework done in time.  Right now it looks kind of hopeless.  There are only 11 more days of school and I have at least that many assignments – big ones, too.  I’ve been working right up till now and I’ll do some more as soon as I finish your letter.  I’ll need to work hard every night this week and next week.

What’s new in Southampton, darling?  I hope you’re being good.  Shirl just said that you’re probably out drinking with the boys tonight.  I said you weren’t.  I am right – aren’t I, darling?

Oh, sweetheart, I had such a nice time with you this weekend.  Why do they have to go by so fast?  It gets harder and harder to leave you.  My, I’m getting torrid, darling!  Maybe you had better tear this letter up.

I had such a wonderful time with you, darling.  I miss you, already.  Only three more nights without you, but, oh, such long ones.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – painting in the woods.)

© 2011 Lee Price

1 comment: