Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Clothes Shopping With Evie

Monday, May 22, 1950

112 West 86th Street
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Fashion illustration by June Anderson.
I guess this will be a complaining letter again.  I had an awful night.  Shirl, her sister Evie, and I went shopping for Evie today.  When Evie couldn’t find what she wanted, she got very mad, and acted nasty to all of us.  She cried, yelled, threw tantrums and everything.  It was terrible.  After she calmed down she still acted mean and kept whining.  If I had half as many clothes as she has, I’d be in heaven!

Then, right in the middle of everything, Shirl made a date with Ted and that started Evie off again.  Well, I wasn’t going to stay alone with Evie and her whining all night.  I was very upset, wishing you here more than anything in the world.  I told Shirl I was afraid her sister and I might have a fight if she left us alone.  So it ended up with all of us going for a ride with Ted.  We just got back.

I hated this place today – I really did.  After our wonderful time this weekend, I had to come back to this!

I’m very upset, as you may have gathered, but maybe a good night’s sleep will fix me up.  Darling, please take care of yourself, and don’t worry about me.

All my love,

June

Darling, this is a P.S. now.  It’s about 10:15 on Tuesday morning.  I’m here in school.  I just wanted to tell you I feel better now.  I’ve already done a little work and I’ll do more after this.  With Evie here, I doubt I’ll be able to work in the apartment tonight.  Maybe we should all go to a movie.

Darling, I forgot to ask you – what picture (or is it more than one?) are you sending to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for the contest?  By the way, you have my compact and comb.  That means you’ll have to come over Friday night to deliver them.  I love you.

Love,

June

(Tomorrow – plans for Roulston's.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment