Wednesday, May 25, 2011

No One Knows But Us

Wednesday, May 24, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

I’ve been waiting for the mail to come before I write to you.  Now I’m sitting here with your letter beside me.  I love you very much, darling.

I’m certainly sorry you had such a bad time with Shirl’s sister!  I imagine she’s gone by now.  For your sake, I hope so.  Do you think it’s largely jealousy of Shirl?

I have your compact and comb.  I forgot to mention them in Monday’s letter.  I hope I remember them Friday night.  By the way, if I do send a painting to the Metropolitan it still has to be painted.  I haven’t a thing here that seems right.

Photo tentatively identified as Roulston's.
About the store:  We haven’t heard from the company but if their asking price is halfway decent, Rod has a good backer lined up.  He’s a local man and a friend of Rod’s.  I’m the only one who knows about this.  Not even Bruno knows.  I think everything is going to work out pretty good.  I hope so anyway.

I had a good art lesson last night.  It lasted till eleven.  As usual, it’s raining today on my day off.  I’ve got to go out and mail this now.  I love you so very very much, sweetheart.

Lots of love,

Art

(Tomorrow – the last letter from Traphagen.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment