Monday, February 28, 2011

Invitation to a Double Date


June Anderson, circa 1950.
Monday, February 27, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

This won’t be too long.  My eyes are sore.  It’s this cold, you know, that’s making me miserable.

I stayed in school all morning and answered roll call in the afternoon – however, my cold was getting worse and I was so sleepy that I made a decision to leave about 2:00, go back to the apartment, and take a nap.  About 1:30, though, my teacher came over and said, “Honey, why don’t you go home?” 
I must have looked pretty bad sitting there, blowing my nose.  I think she thinks I’m delicate since my operation.  Anyway, I wasn’t going to argue with her.  I left.  I came here and slept till Shirl returned at four.

Well, darling, I’ve been talking to Shirl and it looks as if I’ll have to stay here this weekend.  And I miss you so!  I think Shirl’s going out Sunday or Saturday with some kind of a cousin by marriage.  She asked if I would like to go out with a friend of his that she met this weekend.  But, I guess I’ll stay home and miss you by myself.  That’s the trouble with being in love – you get homesick.  I’ll write tomorrow, darling – until then,

All my love,

June

(I’m going to bed now – take care of yourself.)

(Tomorrow – No double dates for June.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment