Friday, February 25, 2011

Home by the Phone

A duck, color pencil sketch by Art Price.

Friday, February 24, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

I stayed home tonight and hoped for a phone call, but none came.  I’m not sure if I was really expecting one.  I can hope though.

I’ll talk to you on the phone before you get this so it won’t be very long.  I hope you enjoy Shakespeare and Katharine Hepburn.  I’m sure you will.

As to your questions in the letter:  I don’t know where Jane Hastings is.  I’ll try and remember to ask Bruno.  I worked on my course last night.  Tonight I didn’t do anything.  My folks went to the movies tonight but I’m waiting till tomorrow.  I’ll be thinking of you as always, and missing you so much.

My folks are fine.  My sister, also.  I hope yours are the same (and have you written to them lately?).  I thought we figured that you save more money by coming home.  Oh well, I suppose you really have to stay in the city once in awhile, much as I hate it.  This will be an awfully lonesome weekend without you, darling.

Don’t worry, I’ll take it easy over the weekend.  (I always do.)  Be good and take care of yourself, my precious sweetheart.

Lots of love,

Art

(Tomorrow – As You Like It.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment