Saturday, February 26, 2011

"As You Like It" with Kate Hepburn



Saturday, February 25, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

I just got in about midnight.  It was a wonderful night (except for one thing missing, of course).  The play was a merry little love story, and many a time as I watched them I thought about you and felt homesick.  But enough of that.  I’ll tell you about my night.

We all (seven of us) met in school at 4:00.  Since we had time to waste, we went to see the apartment where June and Betty live.  It’s very nice – not so nice as our old one but still nice.  At 6:00, we left to eat at the Brass Rail.  For dessert I had chocolate cream pie a la mode (my own invention).  It’s delicious.  Dinner broke me though!  I’ve decided it’s hopeless.  I’ll never catch up on my finances.

Seating at the
Cort Theatre.
From there we went to the Cort Theatre to see Kate Hepburn in Shakespeare’s “As You Like It.”  Art, I was really scared.  No one knows how close I came to leaving.  We were so high up – and I swear the stairs were the steepest I have ever seen.  I almost cried I was so frightened.  But I stayed – mind over matter.  My hands were just about cramped when the play was over from gripping the chair to keep from falling.  In spite of all this, the play was wonderful.  Katharine Hepburn is certainly a great actress.  As I told you before though, I was jealous when she could hold her love in her arms while mine was so far away.

I ate lunch at a different place yesterday – the Magpie instead of Jacks.  I certainly won’t make it a habit.  It took them 45 minutes to make a grilled cheese sandwich.  June, Joan Hart, Irving and I went there together.  It’s mostly a place to drink, which everyone did except me.  I sampled everyone’s drinks but I think I’ll stick to Rye and
ginger at night – preferably with you.

But Art, darling, all this and I haven’t told you the brightest spot of my day.  It was at midnight when I walked in the room to see your letter sparkling on the bureau.  I didn’t even take time off my coat before I opened your letter.  I can’t tell you how much I loved it.

Remember, just because I’m not coming home this weekend doesn’t give you leave to run around wild and pick up dates off the streets or calling women at their homes.  I have my brand on you in spirit and if that’s not enough, I’ll have to personally mark you
physically.  Please be careful, my darling, and behave yourself.

Love,

June

 (Tomorrow – a 1950 comic strip.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment