Thursday, February 24, 2011

June's Guiding and Calming Influence


Thursday, February 23, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

About seven of us girls are going to see Katie Hepburn in “As You Like It” on Broadway tomorrow night.  We’ll all eat together (at some nice place for a change) before going.  I’ll tell you in tomorrow’s letter how it was.  I still have to iron a dress tonight for tomorrow.  Honestly, Art, this room (and Shirl lying here reading a magazine) makes me feel so lazy.  Even getting up is an effort.  I keep reminding myself how energetic I am when I’m with you.  But it doesn’t help now.

I’m reclining here on the couch with wet hair streaming down my back.  Yes, I finally washed it.  I began to worry that maybe the girls wouldn’t let me come along with them tomorrow if I didn’t do something about it.

Since Shirl’s been going to the other school I’ve been getting to school on time.  That’s a phenomenon that never happened much before, I can tell you!  I think it’s mainly because I don’t bother having breakfast when I’m by myself.  I still say it’s lonesome going and coming back from school all by myself.  Eventually I suppose I’ll get used to it.

I don’t think Shirl likes the clothing course much.  Out of the eight days she’s supposed to have been there so far she’s only been there four days.
Something about it
Pencil sketch by June Anderson.
being boring, she says. Oh well, maybe when she gets deeper into the course she’ll enjoy it more.

I’m not coming home this weekend, much as I’d like to.  So don’t run around wild just because your guiding and calming influence (me) isn’t there.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – a lonesome weekend ahead.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment