Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"If You Like-A Me Like I Like-A You"


Tuesday, February 21, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Fashion illustration by
June Anderson.
Please, darling, don’t be mad at me for not writing this weekend.  I don’t know what’s wrong with me – I should have realized your letters were held up by trains or something.  On Friday night, I waited and waited for your letter.  I thought it was just our landlord being slow about delivering the mail, as is usually the situation.  I hate to keep asking for my mail all the time so I waited and waited.  I worked up an awful temper.  I kicked a chair away so hard it almost knocked over the lamp.  It was miserable.  So I finally went downstairs and asked – only to find out that no letter had come for me.  After all that, do you blame me for not writing?  I’m sorry, darling, I’ll really try to behave better the next time.

Your phone call left me feeling so good last night.  I would have been very disappointed if you hadn’t called.  I don’t know what to say about your drinking Saturday night.  I like you to go out because I know you enjoy it and feel lost around the house doing nothing.  But please don’t drink too much.  After all, you’re the one that has to drive, and I don’t want anything happening to you.

Shirl and I just found out that Evie (her sister, you know) is coming here this week.  She’ll probably stay through the weekend.  Heaven knows what we’ll do while she’s here!

They just finished Henry Owens singing “Shadrack” over the radio.  I like that song!  Oh, I heard “Under the Bamboo Tree” today on the radio, too.  First time since I left college – we used to sing it so many times there.  You know the one – “I love-a you and love-a you true.”  It’s true, too.

I haven’t done a bit of homework here yet.  I really work harder at home than here.  Tomorrow I have to start though.  It’s terrible to get behind.

Do take care of yourself, darling, and keep writing.

All my love,

June

(Tomorrow – unacceptable excuses.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment