Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Wake Up Screaming


I Wake Up Screaming (1941) with Betty Grable,
Victor Mature, and Laird Cregar.

From February 14 through 21, June and Art is participating in For the Love of Film (Noir):  The Film Preservation Blogathon.  The June and Art letters are still here, but during this week they will be embellished with film noir images and other supplementary material.

Through this blogathon, over 80 bloggers are hoping to raise significant funds to support the work of the Film Noir Foundation and restore The Sound of Fury, a 1950 film noir starring Lloyd Bridges.  Please contribute to the effort by going to this link (if it’s working!) or through the donation buttons on host sites Ferdy on Films and the Self-Styled Siren.

Tuesday, February 15, 1950

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

Expressionist dream scene in
Stranger on the Third Floor (1940).
Art, never again will I let you go home in the snow like that so early.  I had nightmares all night.  You were lying on the road and your mother never called because she thought you were still with me.  I kept imagining you in different accidents and then would wake with a start.

I was awake when Daddy turned on the lights at 4:30 to get me up for the train ride back to the city.  Anyway I made the
The most famous of film noir dream
scenes -- the Salvador Dali-designed
dream scene for Alfred Hitchcock's
Spellbound (1945), starring Gregory
Peck and Ingrid Bergman.
train and arrived in the city at 8 in the morning.  I called Daddy to tell him I arrived all right and asked if he had heard from you or your parents.  Since he hadn’t heard any bad news, I finally felt confident that you had gotten home safely.  I knew your parents would have called if you hadn’t returned home at all.  But Art, darling, never again.  You don’t know how nervous and worried I can get.

Your valentine card came today.  I loved it and you – especially for underlining the love!

Art, dear, please be careful and don’t take your car out too much in this slippery weather.

Love,

June

P.S.  I love this Valentine’s Day holiday that lets me tell you again I love you so much!

(Tomorrow – suspicion falls on Bruno.)



© 2011 Lee Price

1 comment:

  1. This is dear--and a very creative adaptation of noir as illustration!

    ReplyDelete