Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New Pictures for the Wallet

As we enter the final three months of this blog, the pace quickens as we compress over a years’ worth of life and courtship into just a few months.  This month, we highlight a run of June and Art letters from July and August 1950.  After a month in Riverhead following her Traphagen graduation, June returned to New York City to look for work  Art remained behind in Southampton, working at Roulston’s grocery store and attending his art school classes…

Tuesday, July 11, 1950

20 Cooper Street
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

Gosh I haven’t written to you for so long.  I hope I haven’t forgotten how!  I had a wonderful time all the time you were home, my darling.  I love you so very much.

Don’t tire yourself out job hunting!  Get lots of sleep – and save all your strength for me, you’re going to need it, GRRR!  Oh, I love you so much.  The only thing I accomplished tonight was to add a couple of pictures to my wallet.  And guess who
they were of?

I hope you’re writing to me at the same time I’m writing this.  I like to think so.  I’ll be looking for a letter Wednesday, another Thursday, and you on Friday.  I’ll see you at 8:30 unless you want me to pick you up somewhere.  Let me know if you do.

I was busy all day at work.  I stayed home tonight, just dozing in the easy chair.  My folks have gone to the movies.  I wish you
were here.  Wish I could kiss you good night and kiss you and kiss you ---

All my love,

Art

(Tomorrow – more shopping than job hunting.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment