Monday, June 6, 2011

Back to the City

June and Art is a limited-duration blog which began on September 25, 2010 and will conclude in early September 2011.  As we enter the final three months of the blog, the pace will quicken, compressing over a years’ worth of life and courtship into just a few months.  This month, we highlight a run of June and Art letters from July and August 1950.

After a month in Riverhead following her Traphagen graduation, June returned to New York City to look for work…

Monday, July 10, 1950

112 West 86th Street
New York City, NY

Dear Art,

June Anderson.
I’m very tired today, not too surprising since I got up at 5:00 this morning for the train.  And then I wandered all over New York in the rain.  I’m quite worn out.  I’m going to bed right after this letter.  Honestly, darling.

I have to buy a hat and gloves tomorrow, so I don’t suppose I’ll have too much time for job hunting.  I’ll just go to that one man who said there might be an opening and get it over with.

It’s nice to be together with Shirl and Betty Newling again.  Betty had a permanent and her hair looks very good.  Shirl had one too but it came out kinky, so she cut it all off.  It’s certainly short now!

Before I go any further, darling, I love you and miss you very much already.  I’ve been following the war news, listening to it with half-closed ears.  I just pray they won’t take you.  I’ll feel terrible if you’re taken away from me.

Take care of yourself, darling, and no flirting with Mr. Secunda’s pretty girls.

Good night and all my love,

June

(Tomorrow – adding pictures to the wallet.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment