Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spending Money at Macy's

This current exchange of letters occurred during the two weeks between June’s illness and Thanksgiving.  While it’s obvious from June’s letters that Art was writing, his letters from this brief stretch appear to be lost.  When June and Art return to their correspondence following Thanksgiving weekend, his side of the correspondence will be fully represented once again.

Tuesday, November 16, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

I’m getting your letters so nicely – another one today.

Today one of our teachers was trying to teach us to do our quick sketches in contour drawings so we spent all morning doing that.  It was fun.  I’m staying home again tonight – going to try to accomplish some homework.

Macy's at Herald Square, circa 1950.
Shirl and I are both kind of tired, we went shopping in Macy’s after school.  We bought an ironing board.  It’s good too, I mean that we bought it – I’m beginning to run out of ironed and semi-ironed clothes.  I hope they deliver it soon.

Before I forget, I’m coming home on that train that arrives in Riverhead at 7:15 p.m. – unless, of course, I miss it at the last minute.

Certainly I won’t mind if Bruno comes back with us.  Bring him right along.  After all, we should help him along with Mary.

Eleven hours sleep just doesn’t sound like you.  It’s either too little or too much.  Then again, I guess you certainly needed it after Saturday night!

Just think, only two more whole days and I’ll be home.  I know, because I’m kept busy counting them and my money.  It’s a race as to which will go the fastest.  Love and kisses and ‘bye for now.  Behave yourself.

Love,

June

(For Thursday, June's last letter before Thanksgiving break...)

© 2010 Lee Price

1 comment:

  1. Times have changed, haven't they? Who would even think of buying an ironing board at Macy's now, much less having it delivered!

    ReplyDelete