Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Nicest Decoration in the Room

This is the last letter of the exchange that occurred during the two weeks between June’s illness and Thanksgiving.  While it’s obvious from June’s letters that Art was writing, his letters appear to be lost.  When June and Art return to their correspondence following Thanksgiving weekend, his side of the correspondence will be fully represented once again.

Thursday, November 17, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

Fabric drawings
by
June Anderson.

I came into the room tonight to find no letter waiting for me.  Felt kind of lost.  That letter is supposed to be the nicest decoration in the room.  Did you go out again?

Dorothy, Shirl, and I went to the movies right after school to see two English movies.  One was about how a ballet is put together – dance, stage settings, costumes and then the finished (short) ballet.  The other picture was one of those odd affairs that you can’t quite decide whether you like it or not.  Here it is 8:00 and we’re home already.  So, it’s more school work for me I guess!

We had a little fire at school today – in the elevator shaft.  Just a little one, but all the fire engines came.

Shirl and I are planning drapes and covers for the room.  We saw some material we liked today.  Shirl is balanced precariously on the couch and a chair measuring the window.  She looks as if she’ll fall any minute.

This is my last letter before I leave.  I get home at 7:15 on Friday night.  Remember?  Be seeing you.

Love,

June

No comments:

Post a Comment