Thursday, November 11, 2010

Breakfast at Jacks

Thursday, November 11, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

I have just finished reading your “Hello-Goodbye” letter again – the shortest, I believe, on record.  However, I won’t say anymore about it, for I’d much rather receive a lot of short letters during the week than one long manuscript.

This will be short, too.  Work, work, work.  That’s what I should be doing now.

You can forget about my weight problem.  Just mark it off the list.  I’ve been eating like an honest to goodness hog.  After finishing supper tonight, Shirl and I ate a
nice big ice cream roll.  Gee, was it good!  (All gone
now.)

Two watercolor
portraits by
June Anderson.
I had breakfast this morning at “Jacks” near the school.  My breakfast was orange juice, and halfway through the glass I decided I wouldn’t feel well if I finished it.  When I got to the door, Jack discovered the half-full glass and yelled across at me to come and finish it.  I couldn’t very well shout back, so I kept shaking my head while he intoned me to finish it.  All the people were having a free show and seemed to enjoy it immensely.  Oh well, that’s life!

 I miss you, too.  Maybe I’m glad I have all my homework to keep me busy.  Then I haven’t got time to think about missing you so much.

Be seeing you a week from tomorrow.  Oh, no, I’m not going to ask you for a date!  That’s up to you.

Love,

June


(Tomorrow – Lena Horne!)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment