Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Drapes Are Short


Life drawings by June Anderson.

Tuesday, November 29, 1949

46 West 83rd Street, Apt. 7B
New York City

Dear Art,

Everybody in school yesterday was wandering around with bags and dark circles under their eyes.  Seems like they all had a very nice weekend, although I know it couldn’t have been as nice as mine!

Shirl and I just had a nice big laugh.  She just showed me the material she bought for the room, then proudly brought out the drapes that she had made and almost finished last night.  At one glance, I knew something was wrong.  Sure enough, they are about a foot too short – they don’t reach the window sill by lengths.  Shirl says that’s why her mother calls her good-for-nothing.

What a talking mood you must have been in on Monday night!  I’m sure Frank H. (I won’t deign to call him by that “Footles” nickname) couldn’t have done all the talking.  I’m glad you enjoyed yourself, though. 

Well, Shirl and I have to go out to eat now, then homework, and maybe sewing more drapes – and definitely sleep at 10.  Tomorrow you will receive a much nicer letter, I’m sure.  Until then,

Love (lots),

June

(Tonight – raining in Southampton.)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment