Saturday, July 30, 2011

Don't Flirt With the Nurses!

With the wedding tentatively scheduled for September 1, 1951, Art decided to address a long-standing health problem.  He was admitted to Presbyterian Hospital in New York City on June 12 for an operation to address the pain in his left knee.

Tuesday, June 12, 1951

126 Lincoln Street
Riverhead, NY

Dear Art,

Well, darling, I was about to write to you when Miss Murray, the teacher who rents the room upstairs, came downstairs to show us the trouble she’s been having fitting a skirt.  Mother and I went up to give advice and stayed to talk.  I’m just getting back to the letter now.

How do you like the ink?  I bought some Parker’s Superchrome Ink today – it’s special for these pens.  I’ve meant to buy some ever since you gave me the pen.  I really think it writes smoother with this ink.

I miss you very much, darling (I guess I kind of got used to having you around!).  But I feel so relieved to know you are in such good care and have such a capable doctor.  I also have a feeling that it won’t be too long, after all.  However long, though, you will be better when you come out and that’s all that matters.  I love you – so don’t you dare flirt with any of those nurses.

Today at work, I asked Francis if she could be a bridesmaid on September 1 – if everything works out alright.  I told her all about your operation, too.  She says that any date in September should be fine.

Good night now, my darling.

All my love,

June

(For Monday – A visiting nurse from Southampton.)

© 2011 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment