Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Swell Feeling to Have a Letter Waiting

Thursday, October 6, 1949

20 Cooper St.
Southampton, NY

Dear June,

It sure is sweet to hear from you.  I’ve been taking it easy lately, early to bed every night.  I’ll be ready to stay up all night when you do come home.

Southampton United Methodist Church.
Last night I (alone again) saw Anna Lucasta with Paulette Goddard.  It was pretty good.  I think I’ve told you that I belong to the Men’s Club of our church.  We have a supper tomorrow and I’m on the committee so I spent this evening scrubbing potatoes and setting tables.  Now it’s only 9:30 and I’m home already.  I’m really getting in a rut!

I hope you’ve made out all right with your roommates by now.  Don’t do so much worrying, though, it doesn’t do any good.  Too bad I’m not there to try and cheer you up.  What about your old roommate Janie?  Is she in the city, Nassau, Lake George, or Timbuktu?

Still no car but I’m hoping I’ll have it this weekend.  If I decide to come in, I’ll call you Saturday.  If I don’t get my car back, maybe I’ll call you Sunday.  It’s no fun bumming around alone anymore.

Keep writing!  It’s a swell feeling when my mother comes in the store at noon and says there’s a letter waiting at home for me.  See you soon.

Love,

Art

(For Saturday, a life-threatening disruption…)

© 2010 Lee Price

No comments:

Post a Comment